Friday, January 16, 2015

Puppets

I wanted to make puppets for my kids that actually looked like members of our family. Here's what I came up with.
 I printed pictures of each of us, cut them out, covered them in contact paper (packing tape would work too) and glued them to popsicle sticks. I've tried hot glue gun and elmer's glue but neither of them seem to last through my kids playing with them. I'm thinking of gluing and taping it on the stick to see if that works.
I used our wii profiles (just took a picture of the TV screen) to get a cartoon version of our family. It's way easier to convert that too a puppet than a real picture. First you sew the body, then you cut out the head shapes and hair out of felt. I sewed a few of the facial expressions but it was a bit challenging to do small enough stitches. So I used fabric markers to draw the more complicated stuff. I hot glue gunned the felt heads and hair on the bodies and that was it. For the baby girl I glued on a ribbon and bow. 
All in all I think they turned out pretty good. My kids love them and puppet shows got a lot more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment